One-skillet meals are not only quick and easy to make, but they also allow you to bring out your best cast iron pan and serve directly from it! Less mess, zero fuss, and smiles all around the table. That’s what a skillet meal means to us. Whether you are making a taco skillet, zucchini and beef, Tex-Mex turkey, or a more unique dish of chicken with balsamic pears, your skillet will be put to good use. Scrumptious skillet chicken pot pie that is topped with a Paleo crust and finished in the oven? We’ll take it!
Lately, we have been on an asparagus kick. We’ve tossed the green (and white) spears in stir-fries, grilled it plain and simple with salt and pepper, eaten it raw in an asparagus Caesar salad and blended it into a lovely, refreshing soup. If you are new to asparagus eating, you’ll find it most inviting when added to a recipe that you already trust. Sometimes the subtle addition of new ingredients eases you into trying more complex ways of eating a new-to-you fruit or vegetable. Asparagus is a nutrient-rich stalk that is an excellent source of fiber, folate and vitamins A, C, E, and K.
Let food be your medicine and indulge in a hearty skillet of chicken breasts, sweet potatoes, and asparagus today. Don’t forget to add a small handful of your daily greens on top – green onions, rocket, watercress or alfalfa sprouts.
Chicken Skillet With Asparagus And Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Protein: 40g / %
Carbs: 21g / %
Fat: 14g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, boneless and diced
- 1 lb. white or green asparagus, trimmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt cooking fat in a skillet over medium heat, and season the chicken to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook the chicken until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the olive oil, add the garlic and diced sweet potatoes, then cook for 1 to 2 minutes while tossing.
- Pour-in the chicken stock, cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 6 to 8 more minutes.
- Add the asparagus to the sweet potatoes and cook for 4 to 5 minutes longer. Bring the chicken back to the pan.
- Sprinkle the chili powder and chili flakes, adjust the seasoning and stir everything while cooking for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve topped with sliced green onions.