Once upon a time we had the brilliant idea to grill up some sweet chili pineapple and shrimp skewers… it was, and still is, a fabulous meal. Recollections of each delectable bite linger around in our food memory, only shrimp is more of an impressive meal, than that of an everyday one. Take chicken for example – now that is a dish that can be offered with humbleness in a myriad of ways; with so many variations it can be served each day of the year as something new. Now, we all have our favorites, but we believe this one may just hit the spot!
It is really nothing new to combine chicken, lime and chili together. Mexican cuisine embraces it, and we’ve even accomplished that with a hot bowl of shredded chicken chili, absolutely lovely, by the way, on a cold winter evening. However, there is something primal about grilled meat on a stick which has been marinated in abundant spicy spices and is destined to be eaten by hand. Skewers are perfect for indulging in this time-honored tradition of cooking over flames. Think of it as a popular eating utensil and you’ll never look at a hamburger bun the same way again.
A simple cucumber and radish salad makes a wonderful accompaniment as the Paleo mayonnaise helps cool things down a bit. And never discount a refreshing ginger-turmeric lemonade in the heat of summer. Stay hydrated and enjoy all the spice you can handle!
Chili, Lime And Pepper Chicken Skewers Recipe
Protein: 37g / %
Carbs: 9g / %
Fat: 18g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. raw honey (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wood or metal skewers
- In a bowl combine the garlic, chili flakes, paprika, cilantro, zest, lime juice, olive oil, honey, and season to taste.
- Whisk until well emulsified; add chicken to the bowl, and toss until everything is well coated.
- Marinate in the refrigerator, covered 2 to 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread on skewers alternating with chicken, bell pepper and onion.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Pour the remaining sauce in a saucepan and bring a boil over medium heat, simmer 10 to 12 minutes.
- Brush the skewers with the sauce and place on the grill.
- Grill the skewers 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until no longer pink and cooked thorugh.
- Serve topped with extra cilantro and lime wedges.