For the adventurous eater, this recipe has it all: a subtle, exotic flavor; heat that can be adjusted to preference; and a delicious, sweet flavor that brings out the best in Indian-style cooking. This Coconut Curry Chicken requires a bit of preparation ahead of time, but the result is well worth the wait. This is a great dish to spend a few minutes preparing in the morning – when you are ready, the actual cooking comes together very quickly.
Coconut milk provides a base for this dish that is filled with easily digestible, healthy fats. Even if you don’t care for the taste of coconut, the use of this ingredient combined with the other spices gives this dish a sweet-heat that isn’t overpowered by the coconut. However, if your preference is to avoid this ingredient, you can consider swapping with almond milk (however, this will add a noticeably nuttier flavor). For a milder dish, cut the red chili flakes by half (or omit altogether); for a spicier meal, it can be doubled. Boneless, skinless chicken breast serves as an excellent source of protein in this dish, but if you are looking for a more budget-friendly option, consider swapping this protein for a less expensive chicken cut as needed.
This recipe is wonderful as a dinner – for a complete meal, consider serving the chicken atop a light side like this simple Vegetable Curry; this will add some great texture to your meal. To create some additional flavor variety, add a tangy side like this Raw Kale Salad to accompany your plate.
Coconut Curry Chicken Recipe
Protein: 29g / %
Carbs: 9g / %
Fat: 28g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine coconut milk, ginger, garlic, chili, cumin, garam masala, lemon juice, half the olive oil, and season to taste.
- Add the chicken to the marinade; place in the refrigerator and marinate for 2 to 12 hours.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, and reserve the marinade.
- Cook in the preheated skillet until chicken is browned on all sides.
- Add the onion and cook until soft (2 to 3 minutes); pour in the remaining marinade.
- Cook another 3 to 4 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and onions are soft.
- Serve the coconut curry topped with green onions