When the cold weather comes rolling in, there is nothing better than a steaming pot of soup to end the day. Broccoli and carrot soup is a bowl of satisfying warmth that can sometimes feel like a lifesaver; in other words it is a soothing, and simple, dish to make when all you really want to do is put your feet up and relax.
The best part is that you may already have these few ingredients on hand – broccoli, carrots and leeks. If you don’t, you can readily pick them up on your way home from work. And you already know that it is good for your health when you shop the outside aisles of the grocery store, so bonus points for eating a wholesome and nutrient-rich diet! One can hardly eat enough broccoli, after all it is a perfect sustenance foodstuff, and whether you prefer it blended, roasted or smothered in a creamy garlic sauce – you are going to love it.
If you are are craving extra protein next to, or on top of, your bowl of broccoli soup, here is an idea to keep in mind: make a good-sized batch of slow cooker shredded chicken at the start of the week. Not only will you have that quick addition of tasty meat for lunches whenever you desire a bite full of energy, it saves you the time and stress of having to know what’s for dinner tonight. Use it as a savory topping and get on with life!
Creamy Broccoli and Carrot Soup Recipe
Protein: 9g / %
Carbs: 29g / %
Fat: 16g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 6 to 8 cups broccoli florets
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt ghee in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and leek and cook until soft; 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broccoli; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and shredded carrot.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes – or until broccoli is soft.
- Purée the soup using an immersion blender.
- Mix in the coconut milk, season to taste, add more coconut milk if consistency is too thick, and simmer another 4 to 5 minutes.