A generous knob of fresh ginger and just a hint of turmeric add some zing to this savory-sweet soup. Carrots, apples, and zucchini might not seem like an obvious combination, but it really works here: all three of them have a slightly different combination of sweet and hearty, and all together they make a very tasty soup. Make it with vegetable stock for your vegan friends, or whip up a big batch of bone stock for an even more velvety taste.
The zucchini also makes this one slightly lower in carbs per serving than a soup made only with carrots and apples – there’s nothing wrong with carbs, but if you’re trying to lower yours for any reason, it’s a good recipe to have up your sleeve.
Try this soup with a steak salad to add some body to the meal, or maybe as an appetizer for a richer meat like lamb or duck. It’s colorful enough to perk up any table, and it goes well with a surprising number of different main courses. And these kinds of sweet gingery soups almost get better as leftovers, because the flavors develop a little in the fridge and get even more intense the next day. Why not make a double batch and see for yourself?
Ginger Carrot Soup Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 8 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped;
- 2 small zucchini, peeled and roughly chopped;
- 1 small onion, diced;
- 1 apple, peeled and roughly chopped;
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced;
- 1 tsp. turmeric;
- Pinch of cinnamon;
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock;
- 1 cup coconut milk; (optional)
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Melt some cooking fat in a saucepan placed over a medium-high heat.
- Add the ginger and the onion and cook until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add all the remaining vegetables, the apple, and the spices. Give everything a good stir, and cook until the carrots are soft.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, lower the heat and let everything simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender, or in batches using a blender.
- Pour in the coconut milk, season to taste, and serve warm.