When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. When life hands you chicken, well, you better rummage for some red chili flakes hiding in the back of the spice rack and fire up the grill. Don’t let summer pass you by without trying this recipe! Add as much chili as you like, you can always quench your thirst and put out the chili fire with, you guessed it – lemonade, with a sprig of fresh thyme.
Chicken is a versatile ingredient in the home kitchen and it can be cooked just about any which way. It is high in protein, so it helps us build muscle and keep our new-found strength. Due to it’s milder flavor, “it tastes like chicken”, it is the combination of seasonings that really make each chicken dish stand out. Lean meat, think skinless chicken breast, in general has more of a bland taste due to muscle having less flavor than fat.
The perfect match for chili-lime chicken is a cilantro and lime pesto, but you may have to improvise to suit your food intolerances – you can make it dairy-free simply by eliminating the Parmesan cheese. A traditional pesto is made with basil, though you are encouraged to substitute any greens, such as cilantro and parsley. And instead of pine nuts you can use walnuts, pistachios or almonds with much success. While the grill is nice and hot, throw on a few zesty sweet potatoes to keep the tangy goodness coming.
Grilled Chili-Lime Chicken Recipe
Protein: 54g / %
Carbs: 10g / %
Fat: 20g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skin-less, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro, minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro, minced (to garnish)
- Bamboo skewers
- In a bowl combine the cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, garlic, honey, chili flakes, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the diced chicken to the marinade and refrigerate 30 minutes to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from marinade, keeping the remaining marinade aside.
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for 5 minutes.
- Alternate the diced chicken and bell pepper pieces on the skewers.
- Brush with the remaining marinade, and place on the grill.
- Grill the skewers 4 to 5 minutes, brushing with the marinade on every turn.
- Serve the chicken skewers topped with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.