If you’re used to grilling chicken breasts, switching it up with thighs instead is a great way to add some more flavor to your meals. They’re already juicier and more flavorful, and rubbing them with a quick mixture of Southwest-inspired spices gives you even more flavor.
Using a lot of spices is also a good idea health-wise for grilling recipes, since the antioxidants in the spices help protect the fats in the meat from oxidizing under the stress of the high temperature. This makes the whole recipe much healthier to eat on top of being more delicious.
If you’re a spice fan at heart, this chicken would be very tasty paired with some spicy sweet potatoes, or any other blend of grilled vegetables perked up with a little chili powder and paprika. Or fan them out over a big pile of greens, fresh tomatoes, red onions, and your favorite nuts for some crunch. And of course, they’re also good as leftovers: grill up more than you need, and you’ll have tasty ready-made protein all week long.
Grilled Chipotle Chicken Recipe
Protein: 57g / %
Carbs: 3g / %
Fat: 36g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs;
- 1 tbsp. ground chipotle powder;
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano;
- 1 tbsp. paprika;
- ½ tbsp. garlic powder;
- Fresh lime juice;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- In a bowl, combine the ground chipotle, dried oregano, paprika, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Rub the chicken generously with the chipotle mixture, making sure each thigh is well covered.
- Grill on the preheated grill, skin side down, for about 8 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drizzle some fresh lime juice on top, and serve.