Grilled vegetables should be a staple meal in every household if we do say so ourselves. It may sound like a bold claim on the way one could/should eat, but we have our reasons for expressing our love of veggies. First off, vegetables contain abundant and necessary vitamins and minerals, and our version of eating at home is more than meat and potatoes. And why on the grill? Well, the heat from the embers slowly caramelizes the natural sugars in the vegetables, making for a flavor transformation that makes even children ask for more – grilled Brussels sprouts anyone?
What we are suggesting to grill here is zucchini, red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and pepper, and they really are all wonderful vegetables! But maybe these ingredients are not in season and other enticing vegetables are. When you shop at a local farmers market, or have your own patch of garden, you will be in the know as to what is currently ripe and ready for plucking. During the summer, veggies are aplenty all season long. From asparagus to eggplant, Romaine lettuce to generous size Portobellos and every color of carrot in between, there is no way to go wrong with grilling mixed vegetables. Keep in mind that cooking time will vary based on the seasonal ingredients you choose.
Keep dinner on the plant-based side and indulge in a batch of perfectly baked herb parsnip fries or add a hint of protein in the form of BBQ chicken and bacon skewers, both options are incredibly tasty.
Grilled Mixed Vegetables Recipe
Protein: 4g / %
Carbs: 14g / %
Fat: 14g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 zucchinis, sliced
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 8 oz. cherry or grape tomatoes
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1 to 2 bell peppers, cut into large slices
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp. garlic flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In a bowl combine the rosemary, parsley, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place all the vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil mixture.
- Gently toss everything until well coated.
- Place the vegetables directly on the grill or in a grilling basket, and cook until nicely charred and soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley.