For a homestyle family dinner a whole roast chicken with Moroccan spices will do nicely, but if you are in need of a spicy, succulent meal with a quicker cooking time, then the grill is your best friend. Okay, who are we kidding? The grill is always a savior of time with the added benefit of full-on flavor. But, you do need to invest in a few minutes of marinade preparation first. This marinade is so simple, you can even make it before you leave for work in the morning and forget about the drumsticks bathing in the fridge till you return home hungry.
Chicken is a staple in any meat-eaters life. As we have all found out by now, sometimes it takes a spoonful of creativity and a pinch of salt to keep it interesting. When we look to other cultures for inspiration, we find spices to please any palate, and in Moroccan tradition these drumsticks are boasting with notes of ginger, paprika, coriander and cumin. Of course, in moderation, you can also sprinkle the finished drumsticks with sesame seeds, providing a generous boost of anti-inflammatory copper and manganese with your meal.
Add an element of surprise to dinner and plate up the grilled chicken with a side of roasted cauliflower with mint and pomegranate. You can serve the Moroccan drumsticks with any roasted or grilled vegetables, but whatever you do, don’t forget to whip up a batch of cool cucumber Paleo tzatziki sauce for serious dipping!
Grilled Moroccan-Style Chicken Recipe
Protein: 68g / %
Carbs: 2g / %
Fat: 39g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 1/2 lbs. chicken drumsticks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a large bowl. Add the garlic, ginger, parsley, chives, cumin, paprika, coriander, red pepper flakes, olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss everything together until well coated, and cover.
- Refrigerate and marinate 2 to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the marinated chicken until cooked through, turning every 4 to 5 minutes.
- Let the drumsticks rest 2 to 3 minutes before serving.