If you’re already thinking about firing up the grill and wondering what sides you should add, look no further than this dish! Well, if you love mushrooms that is. In this recipe, mushrooms are the star of the show, grilled to perfection and glazed with a simple balsamic sauce. This is the perfect recipe for when you want to grill up a vegetable to serve, but don’t want to spend a ton of time prepping and cutting your produce for cooking. It’s also a perfect way to impress any vegetarians you might have attending your cook out!
This recipe calls for two pounds of mushrooms of your choice, so think about the kind you’d like to use before you go out shopping. A larger variety like portabella will require some additional prep, while a smaller or unevenly shaped choice like cremini may not stay on the skewer easily. For this dish, whole button mushrooms (especially if you can find them locally grown at a farmer’s market) seem to be the best choice, but take a look at your options and see which looks like the best for you.
Since you’ll be outside grilling anyway, consider some potential main courses you can serve these mushroom skewers alongside. Some great choices are the grilled char-siu chicken or this grilled ginger lamb chops dish. If neither of those sound good, try searching “grilled” above for a ton of options!
Grilled Mushroom Skewers With Balsamic Sauce Recipe
Protein: 7g / %
Carbs: 11g / %
Fat: 1g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lb. mushrooms, halved
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wood or metal skewers
- In a bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos, garlic cloves, and thyme; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mushrooms in a large bowl and pour the balsamic vinegar mixture over the mushrooms.
- Toss everything gently until well covered and marinate about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- If using wood skewers, soak them in water for at least 5 minutes.
- Skewer the mushrooms on wood or metal skewers.
- Place on the grill and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side.