Did you say clam chowder or ham chowder? It's a tongue twister, but this ham chowder holds its own in terms of texture, heft, and creaminess.
Chowder is seen as a comfort and a splurge because of its rich and thick qualities. But this warming ham chowder is made with nourishing ingredients like coconut milk, butternut squash, and chicken stock.
This recipe is autoimmune-friendly, so if you have an autoimmune condition and are avoiding eggs, nuts, nightshades, or other non-AIP-compliant foods, this is a great soup to add to the rotation. There's plenty of depth and flavor from the stock, thyme, and ham to make this a complete meal.
If you have leftover ham from a holiday meal, this would be a great recipe to chop up and use the leftover ham. And because this chowder is complete with fat, protein, and carbohydrate, it's a well-balanced meal to keep you satisfied!
Ham Chowder Recipe
Serves: 4 Prep: 20 min Cook: 25 min
- 2 cups ham, cooked and diced
- Cooking fat
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 small butternut squash, diced
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp. thyme, minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt cooking fat in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and butternut; cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Deglaze the saucepan with the chicken stock, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Mix in the thyme and cooked ham, and season to taste.
- Pour in the coconut milk, bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
Ham Chowder Recipe
- Melt cooking fat in a saucepan over medium-high heat.Cooking fat
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and butternut; cook for 8 to 10 minutes.1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 cup celery, 1 small butternut squash, 1 cup carrots
- Deglaze the saucepan with the chicken stock, scraping the bottom of the pan.¼ cup chicken stock
- Mix in the thyme and cooked ham, and season to taste.2 cups ham, Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp. thyme
- Pour in the coconut milk, bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.2 cups coconut milk