No dish is more welcoming than a fragrant, steaming casserole, straight from the oven. And after a long workday, you deserve the very best. If a perfectly cooked dinner doesn’t happen to fall straight on your plate, however, you are going to have to chase it down. The organic or free-range chicken that is. Well, not literally, unless you live on a farm. That’s a whole other story! Luckily, most of us have a backup plan – we can head straight to the butcher, or the grocery store to find exactly what we are after. No-fuss or feathers involved.
The next order of business is vegetables, in particular cabbage. Back in time, the nutrient-dense cabbage was a garden staple, relied upon by many a peasant. In modern times, it is still a budget-friendly vegetable, though you needn’t be poor to eat it. Cabbage is full of essential vitamins and minerals, with plenty of fiber too. Eat it because it is good for you, plus it tastes great with chicken too! If you’re not sure about sweet potatoes, there is no need to write off this dish. Take it as an open-ended opportunity to use other root vegetables instead. Carrots and parsnips lend themselves wonderfully, but don’t leave out the cabbage!
Before you know it, fate will have you whipping up an Irish-style shepherd’s pie for Sunday dinner, or bangers and colcannon on a laid-back weeknight.
Irish-Style Chicken Casserole Recipe
Protein: 63g / %
Carbs: 25g / %
Fat: 46g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into parts
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
- 4 small sweet potatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. cooking fat
Dry Rub Ingredients
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dry rub, season to taste, and rub the chicken parts with it evenly.
- Melt the cooking fat in an oven-proof skillet or dutch oven and brown the chicken on both sides for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, cabbage, onion, and bacon to the skillet.
- Pour the chicken stock all over the mixture, place in the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.