When life gives you lemons, make a marinade – or a lemonade to drink while you wait for your chicken and shrimp to soak up all the goodness the zesty fruit has to offer. As you whisk all the ingredients together, ponder all the health benefits that lemons have to offer…
Lemons are as powerful as they are sour, and if you aren’t eating them, now is a terrific time to start. Besides having large amounts of vitamin C, they also contain vitamin B6, potassium, thiamin, and fiber. They boost our immune system, so if you are stressed at work add some lemon juice to your tea or water (instead of your possible mid-day coffee), Paleo-inspired or not. Most of us consume them because they taste amazing with seafood, that is not a scientific statement – in reality they relieve general pain and inflammation as they draw uric acid from our joints. It is also said that they promote clear thinking, they really do a body good!
Naturally you will want to serve these lemon-oregano shrimp and chicken skewers with a generous side salad, perhaps with some purple onions and fresh tomatoes? If you are keen on adding more lemon in your Paleo meal plan, check out these grilled salmon lemon-lime skewers and orange and lemon roasted duck to stimulate your imagination.
Lemon-Oregano Shrimp And Chicken Skewers Recipe
Protein: 53g / %
Carbs: 6g / %
Fat: 20g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cubed
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh lemon wedges to serve
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water
- In a bowl whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, oregano, parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and shrimp, and let marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Thread the chicken and shrimp on separate skewers, as the chicken takes longer to cook.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the chicken skewers 12 to 15 minutes turning every 3 to 4 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Add the shrimp skewers to the grill and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, for a total of 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve the skewers with fresh lemon wedges.