Not everyone needs a hearty breakfast to start their day, but if you do, or if you’re looking for a healthy option to bring to your next breakfast pot-luck, this casserole works as a fantastic option. We especially love this casserole due to the ease of cooking – while the ingredients list here might seem a little intimidating, the preparation for this is as simple as combining and cooking. This dish will take some time to bake, so plan on waking up a bit earlier to get things started – or, save yourself some time by prepping your veggie ingredients with a food processor the night before and keeping covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready for baking.
One of the best attributes of this dish is its versatility – although the ingredients here reflect what we think are some of the tastiest parts of a breakfast casserole, you are free to adjust as needed! Some great variations on this include: omitting the sausage for a vegetarian-friendly dish; adding chili peppers and serving topped with avocado slices; or, using shredded veggies versus diced (and adjusting bake time down a bit) for a neat texture change.
This one-dish casserole is wonderful as a standalone main course for any meal of the day. However, if you are looking for additional dishes to serve alongside this, especially if you are planning a fancier brunch, consider adding a serving of these hazelnut pancakes and whipping up a bowl of this yummy fruit salad for an altogether impressive meal.
One-Pan Egg and Vegetable Breakfast Recipe
Protein: 20g / %
Carbs: 24g / %
Fat: 33g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 6 to 8 eggs
- 3 to 4 sausages, cooked and sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes, zucchini, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Make a hole for each egg in the middle of the vegetables, add some cooking fat, and crack an egg into each.
- Add the sausages and cherry tomatoes to the pan around the eggs.
- Place back in the oven and cook another 6 to 8 minutes or until eggs are cooked to desired doneness.
- Adjust seasoning and serve topped with fresh parsley.