In this baked chicken recipe, you’ll be combining some sweet and delicious ingredients to create a yummy, tropical chicken dish. The use of pineapple and homemade barbecue sauce make this a perfect dish to offer to children, who will love the sweet flavors and getting a bit messy while they eat. Although this dish does require a bit of prep and baking time, most of this will be spent baking in the oven, giving you the freedom to get other things done while your chicken cooks. We think this is a great recipe to have on-hand for those nights when no one really knows what to make and the temptation to “just order something in” gets a little too strong – with this simple dish, it’s easy to stick to your budget and a Paleo diet.
The easiest way to save time with this dish is to make sure that you have a batch of homemade barbecue sauce on hand in advance. Unlike traditional barbecue sauces, which are loaded up with sugar and other artificial sweeteners, Paleo versions don’t include these, and usually rely on other sources to add the sweet-spicy flavor combo we love in this sauce. If you don’t expect to use your homemade barbecue sauce before it spoils, consider making a large batch of this and freezing in smaller portions to use in recipes as needed.
For this dish, consider adding this tomato and mushroom grilled skewers recipe as a side – although the flavors differ a bit, we think these pair up together wonderfully!
Oven Baked Pineapple-Barbecue Chicken Recipe
Protein: 63g / %
Carbs: 25g / %
Fat: 30g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cups pineapple, diced
- 1 cup homemade barbecue sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Brush the chicken breast with olive oil and season with oregano, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish.
- Brush half the bbq sauce over the chicken breasts, making sure they are well covered.
- Top the chicken with pineapple, bell pepper, and red onion.
- Drizzle the remaining BBQ sauce over the vegetables and place in the oven.
- Baked 40 to 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.