Poached eggs are a breakfast classic, but did you ever think about poaching them in a liquid that wasn’t water? Eggs in bone broth are delicious and you can drink the broth for extra nourishment. But why not kick it up even further: add some crushed tomatoes and seasonings to that broth and enjoy your poached eggs with all the flavors of pizza?
It’s also full of the good stuff – did you know that tomatoes are one of the few foods that gain nutritional value from being canned? So if you’re going to have canned anything, canned tomatoes are the way to go. They’re full of antioxidants, potassium, and other minerals.
This recipe combines all the convenience of poached eggs with all the flavor of tomatoes, Italian herbs, and bacon crumbles. It would be great for a quick breakfast, but don’t pass it up for dinner, either: it makes a surprisingly filling meal to come home to after work.
Poached Eggs in Pizza Sauce Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 8 large eggs;
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped;
- 1/4 cup chicken stock;
- 1/2 onion, minced;
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes;
- 4 tbsp. fresh basil, minced;
- 4 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced;
- 2 tbsp. cooking fat;
- 4 to 6 slicesbacon, pre-cooked, crumbled; (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Heat the cooking fat in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until soft.
- Add the parsley and basil and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, and season salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, and then let simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs gently into the pizza sauce. Cover and let simmer gently for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the eggs reach your desired degree of doneness.
- Serve topped with crumbled bacon, and fresh basil.