Roasting any kind of vegetable brings out the naturally sweet flavors hiding just under the surface, and here the combination of cauliflower and sweet potato gives you a perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors, topped off with a little paprika for color and roasted garlic for an extra flavor boost.
If you make this with vegetable stock, it’s completely vegan, and even though it tastes really creamy, it’s also dairy-free (your choice of coconut or almond milk). Leave out the paprika and choose coconut milk instead of almond, and it’s also AIP-friendly.
This would go very well with any variety of roasted-chicken-as-comfort-food, or as something a little more solid to go with a light fish. You could also modify it a little to go with whatever protein you’re serving (for example, adding ginger if the rest of the menu has Asian spices, or curry powder if you’re going in a more Indian direction). Why not try it a couple ways and see how you like it best?
Roasted Cauliflower And Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Protein: 8g / %
Carbs: 40g / %
Fat: 13g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp. paprika (omit for AIP)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk (coconut for AIP)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Place the cauliflower florets, cubed potatoes, and garlic on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Transfer the vegetables from the baking sheet to a saucepan.
- Pour the vegetable stock into the saucepan, and add the paprika.
- Bring to a simmer and purée the soup using an immersion blender.
- Pour in the coconut or almond milk, and give everything a good stir.
- Continue simmering until warm, and season to taste before serving.