Why choose between orange chicken and lemon chicken, when you could have both? This recipe is perfect for the citrus loves: fresh slices of orange and lemon in the pan with the chicken, and the whole thing drizzled in a citrus vinaigrette that adds even more flavor. Add some fresh herbs on the top and you’re all set to go. If you have any chicken parts that you’re not totally sure how to use, or that you’ve never cooked before, this is a relatively foolproof way to get them on the table and into your mouth.
This one isn’t exactly AIP-friendly as written, but most of the flavor comes from the citrus and the herbs, so it would be very easy to adapt to an autoimmune protocol. Just leave out the paprika and red pepper flakes. For a low-FODMAP recipe, just leave out the onion and garlic. Or do both!
To make a quick vegetable side for this, drizzle a little more olive oil on a baking tray and throw in some cauliflower florets (or other vegetable) halfway through the cooking time for the chicken. Or go a little fancier with miniature ratatouille boats or whatever else sounds good. Just don’t forget to save some for quick salad toppings tomorrow!
Roasted Citrus And Herb Chicken Recipe
Protein: 112g / %
Carbs: 25g / %
Fat: 20g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 3 to 4 lbs. bone-in chicken parts
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 to 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 to 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, orange juice, lemon juice, dried oregano, paprika, diced onion, red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place half the orange slices and half the lemon slices at the bottom of a baking dish.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the sliced orange in the baking dish, and season to taste.
- Top the chicken with the thyme, rosemary, and remaining orange and lemon slices.
- Drizzle the orange-lemon juice mixture all over the chicken.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes.