Juicy grilled steak is even better with some extra heat from chili powder, paprika, and coffee – if you’ve never tried a coffee rub on your steaks before, now’s the perfect time to give it a shot. It’s a grilling favorite for a reason: the coffee adds an extra depth that goes perfectly with the spicier chili flavor. (On the other hand, if you’re sensitive to caffeine or just don’t like coffee, it’s also fine to leave the coffee out.)
Whether you make the rub with coffee or without, don’t forget the salsa. Mango and peppers are a great crunchy-sweet combo, and the extra jalapeño is sure to please the spice-lovers. Served over the steak, it’s a beautiful contrast: the color alone will set your mouth watering, and when you bite in, it tastes as good as it looks.
If you’re cooking for company, this is a very impressive patio grilling recipe – and you can even cheat a little by making extras and then saving them to eat the next day over salad greens or chopped up in an omelet. But you’d better make a lot of extras if you want leftovers; this is one of those recipes that tends to disappear fast!
Skirt Steaks With Fresh Mango Salsa Recipe
Protein: 44g / %
Carbs: 27g / %
Fat: 26g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 x 1 ½ lb. skirt steaks;
- 2 tbsp. chili powder;
- 1 tbsp. ground coffee; (optional)
- ½ tbsp. paprika;
- zest of 1 lime;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
Ingredients for the fresh mango salsa
- 3 mangoes, diced;
- 1 bell pepper, diced;
- ½ red onion, diced;
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced;
- ¼ cup lime juice;
- ¼ cup packed cilantro leaves, chopped;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your grill to high.
- Mix the chilli powder, ground coffee, paprika, lime zest, sea salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Rub the steaks with the coffee mixture and let rest for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the mango salsa, and chill.
- Grill the steaks on the preheated grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until they reach your desired doneness.
- Let the steaks rest for about 5 minutes, and slice.
- Serve the sliced steak with the mango salsa.