Homemade ketchup in the slow cooker – now that is an interesting way to start the day! Not just Paleo ketchup will go in the slow cooker mind you, there are a bunch of other nutritious ingredients involved too. There are also eight chicken thighs, two sweet potatoes, five carrots and an entire pound of fresh asparagus stalks; making it a whole meal that everyone will lovingly devour around the table. Plus, perhaps enough to set aside for lunch leftovers the following day.
There is so much goodness and love in this dish, it is hard to know which ingredient to focus on. The fact that they all harmonize so well, is what makes it particularly special. For the sake of remembering to eat your greens, let’s give praise to the asparagus. You may know from experience that most asparagus is a lovely shade of green, though it can also be white or purple. Purple asparagus is sweeter than the rest and is delicious when eaten raw, though when cooked, the color will fade. If you choose to use it in this dish, reserve it as a highlight and serve it chopped fresh on top, just before serving.
If you adore the flavor of asparagus in this slow-cooked stew, we imagine that you will also enjoy a bowl of creamy asparagus soup. What if you made that for lunch tomorrow and served it with a leftover chicken thigh? Scrumptious, indeed.
Slow-Cooked Garlic Chicken And Vegetables Recipe
Protein: 67g / %
Carbs: 47g / %
Fat: 37g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup raw honey (optional)
- 1/4 cup homemade ketchup
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the chicken stock, ketchup, raw honey (if using), garlic, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes, then season to taste.
- Place the chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, and carrots into a slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, baste with the sauce every hour or so.
- Add the asparagus during the last hour of cooking.