Absolutely delicious. There are plenty of words to describe this slow-cooked pot of beef with mushrooms, onions, beef stock and coconut gravy… but the first words out of your mouth upon sampling this dish, just may be the very thing we said here. Maybe you will love it so much, that you will take your leftovers to work, just to show off how well you can create an overnight masterpiece in the kitchen.
With the right cut of beef, this roast is going to be incredibly tender and drool-worthy, think of the best boeuf Bourguignon you have ever had. Choose an ample-sized boneless chunk of beef, approximately a 2 lb. chuck or round roast. You can also go for a top side or silverside, but the less expensive cuts of meat will more than suffice if you are slow cooking for 8 hours. If you are short on time, you can add everything directly to the slow cooker, but if you want to extract all of the incredible flavors from the meat, you cannot skip the first step of browning it. Caramelizing the surfaces of your roast in a hot pan with Paleo-approved fat, is essential as it will lend unspeakable flavors to the finished dish.
If you wish to add some freshly chopped parsley for specks of green interest, add them near the end of cooking, so that they remain vibrant upon serving. Nothing suits this dish better than a side of marinated beets. Never tried it? Now is the time to start.
Slow Cooker Beef With Mushroom-Onion Sauce Recipe
Protein: 71g / %
Carbs: 13g / %
Fat: 56g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lb. beef roast
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. onion flakes
- 1 tbsp. dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the beef on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Place the beef in a slow cooker.
- Add the diced onion, mushroom and garlic to the skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the the beef stock in the skillet and bring to a light simmer.
- Add the onion flakes, oregano, celery seed, and season generously.
- Pour in the coconut milk, whisk everything, and pour over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours.