There’s no better way to start your day than with a fulfilling, hearty meal. But the problem with accomplishing this is that a hectic morning means less time (or no time) for preparing something. Where does this leave most people? Grabbing something unhealthy out of the pantry or, even worse, skipping this meal altogether. Not everyone needs to eat breakfast, but if you skip it when you’re hungry, it can lead to low energy levels and poor food choices later in the day. One way to avoid this is by prepping the night before and using your slow cooker – you can get the work done before bed and wake up to a complete meal, no morning prep required.
This recipe is super versatile based on your preferences and dietary restrictions. Don’t love sausage? You can easily replace this with bacon instead. Prefer a spicier version of this dish? Add some red chili flakes to the sweet potatoes before your other ingredients. You can also choose between white and sweet potatoes – while white potatoes might be the more traditional choice, we like sweet potatoes for this version because of the extra nutrients and flavor variation they provide.
This casserole has the added benefit of being a complete meal – no extra sides required! While we think this is awesome as a breakfast dish, there’s nothing stopping you from serving at dinner (kids LOVE this, and even picky eaters get so excited they’ll gobble up what you’re serving). For a great pairing, try a small serving of the morning Paleo smoothie – call it “dessert” and get your family to eat even more good stuff!
Slow-Cooker Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Protein: 28g / %
Carbs: 31g / %
Fat: 23g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 12 eggs;
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk;
- 4 sausages, casing removed;
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, shredded;
- 1 onion, diced;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced;
- 1 bell pepper, diced;
- 1 green onion, sliced;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Melt cooking fat in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the onion and garlic 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the sausages and break apart while cooking for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Place the shredded potatoes at the bottom of a slow cooker and top with the onion-sausage mixture.
- Add in the bell pepper and mushrooms.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and coconut milk; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in the eggs on top of the sausage mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours; serve topped with green onions.