Nothing says “I love winter!” like a hearty butternut squash soup, simmered for six hours on low while you go out for a walk, take a coffee/tea break at a local cafe and chat with friends. If you just so happen to mention what is simmering at home, they may want to join you for dinner, to extend the conversation.
Soups allow for many colorful and exciting variations. Pure vegetable, a mix of meat and veg, dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan. You name it, you can cook it, anything goes – so long as it tastes good together; have you ever tasted a bowl of Paleo chicken pot pie soup?! Our slow cooker butternut squash soup recipe calls for chicken stock, but if you are cooking with vegetarians in mind, you can easily swap that out for a vegetable stock with wonderful results. And if you aren’t so keen on marjoram, why not try a generous pinch of sage or thyme instead. If you have extra veggies to use up, add them in! A carrot or potato will blend smoothly into any soup, plus it is a wonderful way to get kids – and adult kids – to eat their greens.
This soup can stand alone as a filling and fulfilling lunch, though it can also be served as the first course, followed quickly by plateful of honey-garlic chicken and broccoli. Dessert is always optional.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Protein: 3g / %
Carbs: 29g / %
Fat: 0g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 cups leeks, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. ground marjoram
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Combine squash, leeks, apples, broth and water in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Once 5 hours have passed, add the ground marjoram. Continue cooking for an hour or two, until everything is tender.
- Once cooked, use a hand blender to puree.
- Return to slow cooker and cook on high for another 30 minutes; then serve and enjoy!