Shrimp with a spicy Asian flair are a surefire barbecue hit: dress them up with a little hot sauce, fresh herbs, and jalapeño, and they’re ready to join the party.
For this recipe, the marinade optionally calls for 2 tbsp. of Sambal oelek. Sambal oelek is a thick, spicy cooking sauce made with chili peppers and vinegar; the most common brand in the US is made by the same manufacturer responsible for Sriracha sauce (you’ll see the same rooster on the package).
If you can’t find Sambal oelek in a store, or if all the brands available have too much junk for your taste, it’s not hard to make yourself: here’s a super-simple recipe with just three ingredients (hot peppers, vinegar, and salt). Or you could just leave it out and have your shrimp a little bit less spicy; the jalapeño will still add some heat to the mix and you’ll still end up with spicy grilled shrimp, just without the Asian accent.
Either way, this recipe is perfect for breaking out the grill, whether you’re serving it with a basic summery salad (like this one) or something a little more complicated (say, as a substitute for the shrimp in this recipe).
Spicy Grilled Jumbo Shrimp Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 16 jumbo shrimp;
- 2 tbsp. homemade Sambal oelek; (optional)
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced;
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced;
- ¼ cup olive oil;
- 1 jalapeño minced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a bowl, combine parsley, cilantro, jalapeño, olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the shrimp with the marinade and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the shrimp on the preheated grill for 4 minutes per side, basting with Sambal oelek.