Bacon, Leek and Tomato Casserole is a delectable and satisfying dish that will make your taste buds dance with joy. This dish features the perfect combination of crispy bacon, tender leeks, and tangy tomatoes slow-cooked together to create a savory masterpiece. If you follow a paleo or keto diet, you will be overjoyed to know that this casserole is completely compliant with your dietary needs.
This bacon casserole is a simple side dish that is ideal for serving with a lean protein. It is savory, simple, and a great way to add some vegetables to your menu, with a ton of flavor included. 3
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 35 min Cook Time: 25 min
• 10 bacon slices
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 can (16 oz.) whole tomatoes
• 1 lb leeks, well washed, green part discarded and cut in half lengthwise
• 1 tablespoon dried thyme
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 2 tablespoon cooking fat, beef tallow, lard, or bacon grease
How to Make a Bacon Casserole with Leek and Tomato
Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C and spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and set it aside.
In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt the cooking fat, then add in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
Pour in the tomatoes, and the dried thyme and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Stir well, then bring to a simmer, and let simmer for about 10 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Now, pour the tomato sauce into a baking dish.
In a saucepan, place the halved leeks and cover with water. Bring this to a biol, then cook for 10 minutes. Drain and place on top of the tomato sauce in the baking dish.
Cover the top with sliced bacon, and then bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the bacon is crisp.
More Paleo Recipes with Bacon
If you like bacon, you are going to love the recipes below. There are a variety of choices here that can be side dishes, main courses, or even snacks. Enjoy the salty flavor of bacon in every bite!
- Bacon-Wrapped Sausage With Apples Recipe
- AIP Bacon-Wrapped Mini Meatloaves Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Roast Beef With Sweet Potato Mash Recipe
- Summer Squash and Bacon Bits Recipe
- Bacon-Wrapped Avocado Recipe
- Easy Bacon-Shrimp Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Bacon-Wrapped Salsa-Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Bacon Casserole with Leek and Tomato
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400 F.
- Using a pot, heat up a small amount of cooking fat on medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook gently until fragrant, which should take around 2 minutes.2 tablespoon cooking fat, 2 cloves garlic
- Next, add the tomatoes, dried thyme, and black pepper to the pot. Mix everything together well, and allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes. While simmering, use a wooden spoon to break up the tomatoes. Once the tomato sauce has finished simmering, pour it into a baking dish.16 oz whole tomatoes, 1 tablespoon dried thyme, Freshly ground black pepper
- In a shallow pan, place the leek halves in water and bring to a boil. Let them boil for about 10 minutes, then drain.1 lb leeks
- Take the cooked leek halves and place them on top of the tomato sauce in the baking dish. Finally, spread evenly sliced bacon over the top of the dish.10 slices bacon
- Put the baking dish in the preheated oven and let cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- You can use any prepared tomato sauce that is paleo-friendly and sugar-free to save time.
- Add bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms to the sauce for added nutrition, texture, and flavor.
- This can be served alone, but is best as a side at breakfast with eggs, or with a roasted protein at dinner.