Asparagus is fresh and in season right now, so snap it up while you can – and then toss it right into the skillet with some leeks, bacon, and eggs for a pleasant springtime breakfast.
Even in such a simple recipe, the flavors of three different plants in the onion family (alliums) build on each other to create a wonderful backdrop to the richness of the eggs. First up are the leeks. Leeks are the kinder, gentler cousins of normal onions: they’re milder even when they’re raw, and after the strategic application of some delicious bacon fat, they turn soft, slightly sweet, and delicious. Then there’s the garlic, roasted to bring out its savory side without losing its hint of sharpness. And finally, sprinkling the dish with just a pinch of chives (another allium, and another perfect early-spring vegetable) brings out that fresh, oniony flavor with a hint of crunch.
With so many alliums, this isn’t a breakfast for the FODMAPS intolerant, but for everyone else, it’s delicious and very healthy. Among other nutrients, alliums are rich in sulfur, an important mineral, and several organosulfur compounds with antioxidant benefits. And it’s not like the asparagus isn’t pulling its own nutritional weight either; it’s full of Vitamins A, C, and K, plus various B vitamins and a very respectable amount of iron. Add that to the eggs (a nearly unparalleled source of nutrition), and even artificially fortified cereals can barely compete.
I chose to make this recipe with bacon, but you could also use sausages, ham, or any other type of breakfast meat (although depending on what you pick, you may need to add some extra cooking fat). And I also like to finish it up in the oven, but if fried eggs are more your style, don’t be afraid to do it all on the stove. It’s just a matter of personal taste, and either way you’ll get an irresistible and extremely nutritious breakfast to celebrate the earlier sunshine and the little green sprouts beginning to poke up out of the dirt.
Baked Eggs With Asparagus and leeks Recipe
Protein: 10g / %
Carbs: 2g / %
Fat: 9g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 eggs;
- 1 leek, sliced;
- 1 bunch asparagus;
- 4 slices of bacon; (or more)
- 1 garlic clove, minced;
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh chives, minced; (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet placed over a medium-high heat until still tender (about 3 minutes per side).
- Add the garlic and leek to the same skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. If there’s a lot of excess bacon fat, you can pour some of it off.
- Add the asparagus and cook until soft and tender (about 6 minutes).
- Add the eggs to the skillet. Season everything to taste and place in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chives to serve.