Searching for a nourishing mushroom dish that is quick to prepare, and tastes amazing too? Baked portobello mushrooms with a balsamic vinegar glaze may be just the answer you are looking for. Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 20 minutes – which leaves you just enough time to prepare a delicious salad while the mushrooms are baking.
If you need to shop for groceries a day or two ahead of time, it is wise to store your mushrooms in a paper bag in the refrigerator, so that they do not collect too much moisture from the air and get soggy before dinner preparation. Interestingly, portobello mushrooms contain a relative amount of potassium compared to a banana. Getting enough potassium in your diet helps regulate muscle and nerve functions as well as maintaining a healthy balance of fluids in the body. The stems may be woody and inedible, but if you are keen on saving money and eating healthy Paleo meals, simply save them for a soup stock.
Feel free to get creative with any and all mushroom dishes as many spices compliment shrooms – you could even add some minced shallots to this recipe if you have them on hand, a bit of thyme, or a splash of red wine (you can happily serve this dish with a traditional red sangria). If your dinner party is a mix of kids and adults, why not serve some Portobello Pizza for the younger ones, and surprise everyone with a salad of mixed greens, fennel and red pear.
Baked Portobello Mushrooms Recipe
Protein: 8g / %
Carbs: 2g / %
Fat: 14g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, gills removed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the mushroom caps on a baking sheet, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, coconut aminos, and garlic.
- Generously brush the mushroom caps with the balsamic vinegar mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake 20 minutes, turning at the halfway point and brushing with the remaining sauce.
- Serve the mushrooms with fresh parsley to taste.