The idea of a burrito is perfect for breakfast. It’s fast, versatile, and easy to eat with your hands. What could be better?
Well, if it didn’t have to involve a grain-based wrap around a legume-based filling, that would be a start! Fortunately, now you have a Paleo option, using ham slices for the wrap and scrambled eggs with vegetables for the filling. I’ve suggested a mix of onions and peppers for the vegetables, but if you have a pepper-hater in the house, you can always swap that for anything else.
These are tasty for all ages, but they’re especially good for getting kids excited about eating a healthy breakfast: the rolls are just the right size for smaller hands, the eggs and peppers add a cheerful color, and serving anything with a dipping sauce is always a hit. It doesn’t even require a lot of prep or clean-up time, either, which the adults in the house are sure to appreciate.
This recipe makes breakfast for 4, with 2 burritos each (depending on how big your ham slices are). If it’s too hard to cook the burritos after they’re rolled, you can also cook the ham separately, let it cool a little, and then wrap the burrito once it’s comfortable to touch. Serve the burritos with homemade salsa or guacamole, and enjoy a healthy and convenient breakfast at home or on the run.
Not sure about whether ham is good for you or not? Refer to our article on cured meats for a lowdown on what to look out for when buying a cured and prepared meat like ham.
Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 5 eggs;
- 4 to 8 thin slices of ham;
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced;
- 1/2 small onion, diced;
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced;
- ¼ tsp. chili flakes;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
- Heat some cooking fat in the skillet placed over a medium-high heat.
- Cook the onions, peppers, and chili flakes until the onions are softened (about 6 minutes). Then add the tomato and cook for two minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and pour them over the vegetable mixture.
- Using a spatula, scramble the eggs until cooked through.
- Roll the ham slices with some egg in the middle and place the rolls back into the skillet.
- Grill each roll for a few seconds on each side, or until the ham is slightly brown.
- Serve the burritos with fresh salsa or guacamole.