Here’s another savory breakfast (or lunch, or snack…) recipe that’s easy to make ahead and save in individual containers for quick grab-and-go nutrition. The combination of eggs and sausages is hearty and filling, and the sweet potatoes are perfect if you’re grabbing something on the run after a workout (for a lower-carb version, substitute winter squash or another favorite vegetable).
It doesn’t have to be just for workdays though; this would also make a tasty late breakfast on a weekend or day off when you don’t feel like cooking up a huge production. Throw some wilted spinach or fresh fruit salad onto your plate and you’ve got a low-fuss breakfast ready in no time.
For the sausage, just make sure you’re buying a brand that doesn’t have any added junk – or you can make your own by mixing your favorite choice of meats and spices. And of course, you can always experiment with changing up the vegetables: that’s the magic of egg dishes! Try it, see how you like it, and then tweak it so it’s just right and you’ll end up with a reliable standby recipe to keep you going strong through those busy weekday mornings.
Breakfast Casserole With Sausages Recipe
Protein: 39g / %
Carbs: 29g / %
Fat: 59g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 8 eggs
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup almond or coconut milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking fat
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet placed over a medium-high heat. Add the sausages, and crumble while cooking.
- When the sausages are cooked, transfer them to a large bowl.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the same skillet, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Pour the vegetables into the bowl with the cooked sausages.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet, season to taste, cover, and cook about 8 minutes.
- Mix the sweet potatoes into the bowl with the sausages and vegetables.
- Pour the sausage and sweet potato mixture in a baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage mixture, and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and serve warm with green onions sprinkled on top.