Can’t decide between having chicken or a burger? Have both when you purchase a few pounds of budget-friendly ground chicken. This chicken burger boasts loads of flavor, especially when topped with a pile of tender caramelized onions, sliced avocado and a creamy mayonnaise.
Great things take time, and the same is true for caramelizing onions. The tastiest caramelized onions require at least 30 minutes of low and slow heat. When the onions are caramelized, they will take on a rich brown color. Be sure to stir them while they’re cooking in the pan to avoid burning the onions.
If you want your burger to be wrapped up like a classic burger, wrap it in lettuce or serve on a portobello mushroom. While the grill is hot, cut up a bunch of sweet potato wedges and toss on the grill. Serve with a cool salad!
Chicken Burger With Balsamic Caramelized Onion Recipe
Protein: 46g / %
Carbs: 28g / %
Fat: 30g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lb. ground chicken;
- 1/2 onion, minced;
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme;
- 1 avocado, sliced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
Ingredients for the Balsamic Caramelized Onions
- 3 large onions, sliced;
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar;
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil;
- Sea salt;
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and season with salt.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly, making sure to not burn the onions.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, lower heat and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring; remove from heat.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, onion, coconut aminos, garlic, thyme, and season.
- Form 6 to 8 burger patties with the chicken mixture.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side on the preheated grill.
- Serve the patties topped with caramelized onion, avocado slices, and your favorite condiments.