If you love the flavor of enchiladas but aren’t huge on making your own Paleo tortillas to go with them, here’s the recipe for you: a casserole that combines the classic chili-tomato sauce, shredded meat, and onion-pepper vegetable mix, without the trouble of making any kind of extra delivery vehicle for the good stuff. And don’t be fooled by the “casserole” in the title: the typical casserole might be 50% noodles, 30% canned cream of broccoli soup, and 20% cheese whiz, but this one is fresh-tasting and delicious!
This is a great recipe to make in bulk and save for later – either for lunch tomorrow or frozen in single-serving containers to make emergency “freezer meals” for those days when you just can’t face up to cooking (we’ve all been there).
If you want something starchy and a little bit sweet to round out the classic flavor, plantains would be a great choice, maybe in the form of some crunchy tostones. Or try a quick batch of cauliflower rice as the base of your plate to soak up all that delicious sauce!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
Protein: 38g / %
Carbs: 22g / %
Fat: 20g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 cups pre-cooked chicken, shredded;
- 2 bell peppers, diced;
- 1 red onion, diced;
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced;
- 1 avocado, diced;
- 1 tomato, diced;
- 4 cups mixed greens, chopped;
Ingredients for the enchilada sauce
- 8 oz. tomato sauce;
- 1 cup water;
- ¼ cup. chili powder;
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin;
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder;
- ¼ tsp. onion powder;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- In a saucepan placed over a medium heat, stir together the tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 10 minutes.
- Combine the chicken, bell pepper, red onion, and half of the green onions in a baking dish.
- Pour the enchilada sauce on top and mix everything together.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from oven, and sprinkle the mixed greens, tomato, avocado, and remaining green onions on top of the chicken mixture.
- Serve with salsa.