Chicken and mushrooms are an absolute wonderful match – take for example creamy mushroom and spinach chicken (we believe the magic is in the mixture of coconut milk and chicken stock). Astonishingly delicious, right?! If you are craving country style food, the former would suffice, but when you get right down to it, we know that this recipe of chicken and mushrooms is going to take you right back to the yesteryear you long for, complete with apple pie muffins for dessert. You don’t want to skip that part of meal preparation.
Not to make a science out of cooking, goodness knows your grandparents learned from experimenting and just “knowing” how to make a tasty meal, but proportions do matter, so pay attention to amounts (teaspoons and tablespoons) and learn from your own experiences in preparing dinner. Plus, know that it always pays to use the best ingredients. You are as healthy as the plants and animals that you eat. Invest in that quality chicken that has been allowed to free-range on a natural diet, same goes for eggs. If you are heading out to the countryside, you should expect nothing less than a chicken who has her run of the pasture.
Naturally you will be passing up the old-fashioned butter rolls, but we have a healthier suggestion, fresh from the garden, or the market, as it were: a refreshing cucumber and radish salad that can be chopped up in no time flat.
Country Style Chicken And Mushrooms Recipe
Protein: 40g / %
Carbs: 10g / %
Fat: 26g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless, sliced
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 to 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. ghee
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the chicken to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken breasts 2 to 3 minutes per side; then set aside.
- Melt remaining ghee in the same skillet, and add the garlic, onion and celery.
- Cook until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and coconut milk, stir everything scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add the mushrooms, dill, parsley, thyme, and season to taste.
- Bring the chicken back to the skillet, gently toss everything and cook another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh dill if desired.