This crunchy salad is sure to add some color to even the gloomiest of cold days: tart apple slices, dried cranberries, and cheerful yellow egg yolks all over a bowl of mixed greens and sprinkled with some crunchy nuts. Hard-boiled eggs are a convenient answer if you’re getting a little tired of leftover chicken as a salad-topper protein, and they’re almost as easy to prepare (here’s a guide to making the perfect hard-boiled egg, if you don’t already have a favorite method).
The base of kale and spinach is sturdy enough to hold up to all those toppings, and this salad is also a great way to ease into the idea of raw kale in a salad. If you’re not quite up to eating a whole bowl of just kale, mixing it half and half with spinach makes it a little bit easier and more familiar.
The dressing is an easy poppyseed vinaigrette with a hint of apple flavor to go with the rest of the salad. It’s a very slight modification of the oil + vinegar concept, but it’s not really any extra work, so you can quickly whisk it up and then get straight to the important business of eating it.
Cranberry And Clementine Salad Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 2.5 oz. fresh spinach;
- 2.5 oz. baby kale;
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped;
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries;
- 4 eggs;
- 1 to 2 clementines, segmented;
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced;
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, roasted;
Poppy seed dressing ingredients
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil;
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar;
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice;
- 1/8 tsp. paprika;
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder;
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds;
- Bring a saucepan filled with water to a boil.
- Slowly and carefully add the eggs. Cover, remove from heat, and let the eggs cook for 9 to 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked eggs in bowl of ice water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Peel and slice the eggs.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing, and whisk until well-emulsified.
- In a salad bowl, combine the spinach, kale, apple, celery, cranberries, and oranges.
- Drizzle the dressing on top, and toss gently until well coated.
- Place the sliced eggs on top, and sprinkle with pine nuts before serving.