Do you love cabbage rolls, but don’t really want to spend so long in the kitchen rolling them all up by hand? Well, here’s a meal that doesn’t look quite as pretty but delivers all the same flavors with a fraction of the prep time.
You can use homemade tomato sauce if you have it – as with most things homemade, the flavor will probably be better. But there are also some Paleo-friendly canned or jarred sauces out there: just be sure to read the ingredients list very carefully (don’t be fooled by meaningless labels like “all-natural:” read the actual ingredients!).
This recipe is great for the busy nights when you just need something on the table fast. It’s full of nutrition – the cabbage is packed with Vitamin C and the tomatoes deliver a respectable amount of B vitamins, potassium, and other minerals. And that’s without all the nutrition in the beef – on top of the protein and healthy fat, it’s also full of Vitamin B12 and minerals like iron, zinc, and selenium. It might not look like a restaurant dinner, but it’ll give you all the fuel you need to keep going – and isn’t that really the most important thing?
Ground Beef And Cabbage Skillet Recipe
Protein: 34g / %
Carbs: 17g / %
Fat: 20g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. ground beef;
- 1 onion, chopped;
- ½ head cabbage, chopped;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes;
- 10 oz. tomato sauce;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Melt some cooking fat in a large skillet placed over a medium-high heat.
- Cook the garlic and onion until fragrant and soft.
- Brown the ground beef in the skillet until no longer pink.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let simmer for about 25 minutes or until the cabbage is soft.