Eating what you want isn’t always easy when your Paleo principles have you putting that squeeze bottle of BBQ sauce back on the store shelf. First off there is sugar, high fructose corn syrup or molasses – some kind of sweetener (definitely not honey), then there is a thickener, usually xanthan gum or a modified food starch, and spices in the mix. We are okay with the spices, but the rest… we set it gently on the shelf, move on and make our own BBQ sauce at home, because we can and because we will. Plus it is incredibly uncomplicated to toss a handful of ingredients in a small saucepan and bring them to a light boil.
Oven baked BBQ chicken is an unpretentious dish and we know that your barbecue cravings won’t ever stop you from making it. It has never prevented us from enjoying BBQ chicken legs every once in a while either, with some Korean-style cucumbers. In reality, you can use this tempting sauce over baked wings too, even chicken breasts, so we’ll call this meal versatile and healthy. Now all it needs is a side salad and dinner is done.
When we think of BBQ anything, we imagine summertime and all that goes with it. Blueberries are one of the finest summer fruits and you’ll find them in a fennel and red pear salad with mixed greens. You can also add them to an exceptional summery dessert – blueberry chocolate chia parfait.
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Recipe
Protein: 64g / %
Carbs: 18g / %
Fat: 30g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 to 6 chicken legs
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2 tbsp. paprika, or to taste
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan, except the chicken legs, over medium-high heat and bring to a light boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Adjust the seasoning and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Make deep cuts in each chicken leg using a knife, then generously season to taste.
- Place the chicken legs in a baking dish, and pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken, making sure every piece is well covered.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.