Indulge in the rich and flavorful dish that is Duck Confit. This dish, which has been preserved since ancient times, is a true delicacy. Considered one of the best French foods you can learn to make, this is definitely something that is sure to impress everyone at your dinner table.
The technique for making homemade duck confit involves a salt rub for several hours followed by slow cooking in fat, resulting in incredibly tender and moist meat. The duck, infused with herbs and aromatics, is then submerged in the duck fat, where it can stay good for weeks, making it a practical and convenient choice for meal prepping.
If you like the idea of confit, then check out this carrot confit recipe for another fun addition to your menu.
Serves: 6 Prep Time: 10 min + 48 hrs Cook Time: 4 hrs
• 4 duck legs with thighs
• 4 duck wings
• 4 cups duck fat
• 3 tablespoon salt
• 4 garlic cloves, very finely minced
• 1 onion, sliced
• 6 springs thyme
• 3 springs of rosemary
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Duck Confit
In a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of salt, 4 minced garlic cloves, sliced onion, 6 sprigs of thyme, 3 sprigs of rosemary, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Spread ⅓ of the salt mixture on a dish large enough to hold all the duck pieces in a single layer.
Place 4 duck legs and 4 duck wings skin-side up on the salt bed. Evenly sprinkle the remaining ⅔ of the salt mixture on the duck pieces. Cover the dish and refrigerate for 1 or 2 days.
Preheat the oven to 225°F. Remove the salt mixture from the duck and place the duck in a baking dish in a tight single layer. Melt 4 cups of duck fat and pour it over the duck, making sure that the fat covers the meat entirely.
Bake for 4 hours or more until the meat can easily be pulled from the bone.
More Duck Recipes
Want to add more duck to your meal plan? Check out some of these tasty recipes and bookmark them to make soon. Fill your menu with delicious rich fuck to impress friends and family.
- Pan-Fried Duck Breasts With Grape Sauce Recipe
- Roast Duck With Herb Ghee Recipe
- Spiced Duck Breast Recipe
- Pesto and Tomato Duck Skewers Recipe
- Orange And Lemon Roasted Duck Recipe
- Duck With Raspberry Sauce Recipe
Paleo Duck Confit
- Combine 3 tablespoons of salt, 4 minced garlic cloves, sliced onion, 6 sprigs of thyme, 3 sprigs of rosemary, and freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl.3 tablespoon salt, 4 garlic cloves, 6 springs thyme, 3 springs rosemary, Freshly ground black pepper, 1 onion
- Spread ⅓ of the salt mixture evenly over a dish that can hold all the duck pieces in a single layer. Place 4 duck legs and 4 duck wings, skin-side up, on the salt bed. Use the remaining ⅔ of the salt mixture to evenly sprinkle over the duck pieces. Cover the dish and refrigerate for 1 or 2 days.4 duck legs with thighs, 4 duck wings
- Preheat your oven to 225 F.
- Remove the duck from the salt mixture and transfer it to a baking dish, ensuring that it is in a tight, single layer.
- Melt 4 cups of duck fat and pour it over the duck, ensuring that the meat is entirely covered with the fat. Bake for 4 hours or more, until the meat is easily pulled off the bone.4 cups duck fat
- Refrigerate the duck confit in the fat.
- When stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, duck confit is good for up to 1 month.
- Use as desired over bread, in salads, or as an appetizer.