This hearty breakfast will fill you up all the way until lunchtime – your choice of white or sweet potatoes, loose sausage, and plenty of greens all baked into a delicious pan of beaten eggs. White potatoes aren’t right for everyone, but there’s nothing wrong with eating them if you do fine with them, and they’re just as nutritious as sweet potatoes (they have different nutrients, but that doesn’t make them less nutritious!)
Whichever type of potato you prefer, you’ll end up with a satisfying finished dish – use your favorite type of sausage to complement whatever type of potatoes you pick. For white potatoes, bratwurst is a classic combo, and the contrast of sweet potatoes with a spicy chorizo sausage would be delicious. You can buy loose sausage in one-pound packages just like regular ground meat, or buy sausages already rolled and just take off the casings.
With no onions or garlic anywhere in it, this is a meal that people with FODMAP sensitivities can enjoy with no modification. Try making it ahead for bulk breakfasts: if you bake two, you’ll have one for breakfast today and extras to grab and go when you need something fast.
Potato And Sausage Casserole Pie Recipe
Protein: 40g / %
Carbs: 27g / %
Fat: 47g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. russet or sweet potatoes, raw & shredded;
- 1 lb. sausage, casing removed;
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped;
- 8 eggs;
- ½ cup coconut milk;
- 1 tsp. dried oregano;
- 1 tsp. dried basil;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet placed over a medium-high heat. Brown the sausage, stirring constantly, until fully cooked and broken into crumbles.
- Remove the sausage from the heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, coconut milk, dried oregano, and dried basil. Season to taste and whisk until well combined.
- Add the spinach, crumbled sausage, and shredded potato, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased pie plate and cover with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook, uncovered, for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Let rest for a few minutes, slice, and serve.