This recipe is basically pure comfort food: creamy potatoes with carrots and onions, a thick coconut milk sauce, and a long bake time that lets all the vegetables get nice and tender. There’s a reason why potato casserole is such a favorite comfort food, and here you can enjoy it in a Paleo-friendly recipe without any instructions to “add 1 can cream of mushroom soup…”.
You can choose either white or sweet potatoes (or both) for this recipe – and yes, white potatoes are perfectly fine to eat. Or go for both at the same time!
The salmon here basically takes the recipe one nutritional step up from tuna fish casserole. Tuna is perfectly nice and a fine food to eat, but salmon is even more nutritious, especially when it comes to Omega-3 fats (salmon has lots; tuna has almost none).
Serve this with roasted carrots, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, or any other vegetable: if you put the veg in when the pie is about halfway done, everything will be ready to eat at the same time.
Salmon And Potato Pie Recipe
Protein: 58g / %
Carbs: 67g / %
Fat: 39g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 cups salmon, cooked and shredded
- 6 to 8 sweet or russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives, minced
- 2 cups almond or coconut milk (use coconut for nut-free option)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp. ghee
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Melt the ghee with the garlic in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the tapioca starch and stir to combine.
- Pour the almond or coconut milk into the saucepan, and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- In a bowl, combine the salmon, carrots, celery, onion, chives, and salt and pepper to taste.
Lay a layer of potatoes at the bottom of a baking dish, and cover generously with some of the coconut sauce.
- Top the potato layer with half the salmon mixture, then with the remaining potatoes. Ppour the remaining sauce all over the salmon pie.
- Bake in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes.