Just like with a traditional pizza, these Paleo pizza skewers are as versatile as you’d like them to be – feel free to increase some of the ingredients, eliminate others, or prepare this dish as written. One of our favorite parts about this dish though is the opportunity they provide to get kids involved in the kitchen. Even really young children will enjoy threading ingredients and creating their own skewer, especially since these ingredients are all fairly kid-friendly.
One notable thing missing from this dish that we would see in traditional pizza is cheese – since many Paleo diners opt not to include dairy in their diets for a variety of reasons, we don’t usually add this ingredient to our recipes. However, if you are thinking about adding a “cheese” to this dish, consider this list of Paleo-friendly substitutes you can make at home. Depending on the consistency of the cheese, you can either slice into chunks and add to your skewer, or just drizzle on once your dish is complete.
These skewers are great for a snack or appetizer, but if you’re looking for a dish to serve alongside of them try choosing that one that compliments the flavors. A great one is this chicken and avocado caesar salad– it spruces up the classic you can find at any pizza shop with more nutritional value.
Simple Grilled Pizza Skewers Recipe
Protein: 9g / %
Carbs: 12g / %
Fat: 28g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup button mushrooms
- 1 cup pepperoni, sliced
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Marinara sauce
- Wood skewers, soaked in water
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Thread the bell pepper, mushroom, grape tomatoes, and pepperoni alternatively onto the skewers.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, basil, and oregano.
- Lightly brush the skewers with the olive oil mixture.
- Grill the skewers 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve the skewers with marinara sauce for dipping.