The flavorful cuisine originating from Louisiana is amazing! Seafood gumbo comes first to mind, naturally with a gluten-free roux. Then comes a bowl of rich and exciting jambalaya. If you are craving a quick meal of Paleo jambalaya with chorizo, you’ll be wanting this recipe. But if you desire something more like what you would get down south, keep reading on. With andouille sausage, one could consider this more of a traditional recipe. It also contains the “holy trinity” of vegetables: onion, celery and green pepper. The only thing missing is the copious amounts of rice simmered with all the ingredients combined…
Andouille sausage is made from pork, onion, garlic, ground pepper, seasonings, and wine, and it plays an important role in Creole cuisine. You can slice it and toss it in your gumbo, add it to a pot of creamy mushroom soup, chop it up in your breakfast casserole, and so on. It is a delectable smoked sausage that may, or may not, be hard to find. If you can’t find the true smoked andouille sausage you are looking for, opt for another spicy Cajun-style sausage instead, or learn how to make your own Paleo sausage, so that you know all the ingredients going into your food.
Remember the rice that is missing? Of course, you can do without it, though we find that sometimes a few spoonfuls of cauliflower rice is nice as a bedding for the delicious jambalaya.
Slow Cooker Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe
Protein: 50g / %
Carbs: 11g / %
Fat: 25g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 lb. andouille sausage, sliced
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. homemade Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 lb. shrimp, spine and tails removed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker except for the shrimp.
- Stir gently so that everything is mixed and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Add the shrimp when there are 30 minutes left of cook time.