In honor of the slow-cooker, here’s yet another recipe for it: a creamy, savory soup full of sweet potatoes, velvety chicken stock, and plenty of aromatics. If you want it for dinner, put it in while you’re making lunch and cook on low; if you want it for lunch, put it in at breakfast time and cook on high. Of course, you could also make it on the stovetop: just bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the sweet potatoes are soft.
This soup is another one that plays very nicely with restricted diets. It’s autoimmune-friendly exactly as written, and if you make it with vegetable stock, it’s vegan as well.
To make this into a light lunch, all you really need is some protein and a little extra fat (and maybe some more vegetables). Serve a bowl of soup with a big leafy salad, or maybe just some quick grilled chicken or a pork chop, and a drizzle of coconut milk on top just to make it pretty.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Protein: 46g / %
Carbs: 69g / %
Fat: 34g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes, roughly chopped;
- 1 onion, chopped;
- 2 stalks celery, sliced;
- 2 medium carrots, chopped;
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced;
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock;
- 1 cup coconut milk;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Place all the ingredients except for the coconut milk in a slow cooker.
- Season everything to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6h or on high for 4 h.
- Puree everything until smooth using a blender or an immersion blender.
- Add the coconut milk, give everything a good stir, and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve warm.