There are so many ways to dig into a marvelous pork roast, just as pork chops can enjoy the same versatility in cooking. But a pork chop is more than a humble pork chop. There are, in fact, different cuts of chops. Some will be drier, others more tender, while a few will contain more gristle and bone. So how to choose the right one? We like rib chops which are cut from the shoulder to the middle of the loin, they are quite tender with a little more fat than loin chops – perfect for this dish. Ask your friendly butcher if you aren’t sure which one is best.
Now that the meat is chosen, let’s examine the other ingredients. Salt and pepper are always on hand, garlic and chicken stock too, but how about fennel and tarragon? Fennel has a special flavor, akin to anise or licorice. Never fear if those characteristics aren’t your thing, fennel has a way of becoming more mild and delicate as it cooks, leaving you to sample a mildly-fragrant softened treat. Tarragon, on the other hand, can go either way. French tarragon has a strong anise smell, Russian tarragon does not. Choose your greens wisely and you will not be disappointed.
In any case, remember to also use organic lemons, as you will be consuming the zest – add any extra juice to fresh lemonade and enjoy your meal!
Tarragon-Lemon Roasted Pork Chops Recipe
Protein: 59g / %
Carbs: 8g / %
Fat: 34g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 6 boneless pork chops
- 8 tarragon sprigs
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- Season the pork chops to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Melt some cooking fat in an ovenproof casserole dish, over medium-high heat.
- Brown the pork chops 1 to 2 minutes per side and set aside.
- In the same casserole dish, add the tarragon, lemon zest, garlic, and fennel; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring.
- Return the pork to the dish, pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer uncovered to the preheated oven and roast 15 to 20 minutes.