To get the obvious question out of the way: potatoes? Yes, potatoes. White potatoes are perfectly fine to eat for people who don’t have special dietary needs above and beyond regular Paleo. They’re not allowed on the autoimmune protocol because they’re nightshades, but they don’t cause autoimmune disease in healthy people. They are pretty high in carbs, but Paleo isn’t a low-carb diet. If they work for you personally, there’s no real reason to avoid them.
With that out of the way: this salad is a delicious combination of crispy roasted potatoes, spicy chorizo sausage, and sharp, crunchy greens. Dried chorizo is the summer sausage style; it’ more dense and sometimes sold unrefrigerated. If you can’t get any Paleo-friendly dried chorizo, you can replace it with ordinary chorizo or any other regular cooked sausage.
This salad would go really well with sauerkraut, or maybe a light soup – the salad itself is really a full meal, but some extra vegetables can rarely go wrong. Or just serve it as a side for chicken breasts or another protein – this one is pretty rich and small amount goes quite a long way.
Chorizo And Roasted Potato Salad Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 4 Russet or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes;
- 4 cups arugula;
- 2 dried chorizo sausages, thinly sliced;
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced;
- 2 cloves garlic, minced;
- 1 tbsp. rosemary, minced;
- 2 tbsp. olive oil;
- 1 tbsp. cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil;
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar;
- ½ tsp. fresh lemon juice;
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard;
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper;
- Melt the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced potatoes to the skillet in a single layer.
- Cook without stirring 5 to 8 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to brown.
- Sprinkle potatoes with rosemary, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the potatoes, and continue cooking another 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the sausage and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the dressing, season to taste, and whisk until well emulsified.
- In a bowl combine arugula, green onions, sausage and potatoes.
- Drizzle dressing on top and serve.