We love Mexican food for a ton of reasons – it’s delicious, it’s quick to prepare, and it allows for a lot of ingredient versatility that makes Paleo-Mexican work. While many of us think of this cuisine as laden with non-Paleo items like rice, beans, and tortillas, there’s so much more to work with here. With its emphasis on main course proteins, vegetables, and spices, Mexican-inspired meals add a needed kick to any Paleo diet. We especially love this dish because of the creative swaps made to keep things Paleo – while fajitas are normally served with tortillas, here you’ll be stuffing them into your chicken protein, creating a truly unique way to serve things up.
While this dish is tasty, the preparation can be a bit tricky because of the stuffed chicken element. When flattening your chicken breast, really take the time to create even layers and try to get the meat as thin as possible without breaking apart. This will allow for more even cooking and easier stuffing. Although the use of toothpicks to secure your rolled chicken is optional, we recommend it – as you cook the rolls, the stuffing will move around a bit, and the last thing you want is empty chicken rolls when you’re done.
These fun chicken fajitas are a perfect dish for any meal, and they also work well as finger foods at a gathering. No matter when you’re serving these, try your hand at some great dips to accompany. While there’s tons of options here, we think a simple guacamole and spicy homemade salsa are a great place to start.
Fajita-Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Protein: 62g / %
Carbs: 10g / %
Fat: 40g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, butterflied or pounded;
- 1 bell pepper, sliced;
- 1 red onion, sliced;
- Juice from 1 lime;
- 1/4 cup olive oil;
- 1 garlic clove, minced;
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced;
- 1/2 tsp. cumin;
- 1 tsp. chili powder;
- 1 tsp. dried oregano;
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Fresh salsa;
- Fresh cilantro;
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, combine the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, fresh cilantro, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix half of the spice mixture in a bowl with the bell pepper and onion.
- Lay the chicken flat and fill with the bell pepper, onion, and spice mixture.
- Roll the chicken tightly, securing with toothpicks if needed. (Soak the toothpicks in water first to prevent them from burning)
- Brush chicken with the remaining spice mixture, making sure the chicken breasts are well covered.
- Grill the chicken over medium-high heat, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, turning every 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken fajitas topped with fresh salsa and cilantro.