Indulge in the succulent and savory garlic lemon chicken with olives recipe that's sure to make your taste buds sing! Imagine tender, juicy chicken thighs, bone-in, and skin-on, browned to a perfect crunch, then nestled into a delightful blend of sliced onions and halved kalamata olives. The sweet and tangy sauce is then added, with fresh lemon slices and garlic infused with thyme, creating the perfect balance of flavor. This dish is a delightful way to bring some elegance to your dinner table, perfect for any night of the week. Whether you are cooking a romantic candlelit dinner for two or having friends over, this just may become your new favorite recipe.
Garlic Lemon Chicken with Olives
Chicken thighs are a fantastic source of protein and provide essential benefits to those on the paleo, AIP, or keto diet. The olives add a Mediterranean twist along with sharp notes of acidity, which adds brightness and flavor.
When serving this delicious chicken dish, consider pairing it with some fresh and colorful vegetable sides such as roasted asparagus, creamed spinach, or sautéed green beans. A glass of chilled dry white wine, such as a Sauvignon Blanc, pairs perfectly with this dish, making it a complete and sumptuous meal.
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 40 min
• ¼ cup of cooking fat
• ½ lb black olives (kalamata), cut in half
• 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, and skin-on
• 3 cups onion, sliced thinly
• 30 cloves garlic, minced and smashed
• ½ cup lemon juice
• 2 extra lemons, thickly sliced (remove the seeds with the tip of a knife)
• 1 ½ cups chicken stock
• A bunch of picked thyme leaves
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Garlic Lemon Chicken with Olives
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Then, in a large pan, melt the cooking fat over medium heat. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until the chicken is crispy and browned. Remove from the pan and set it aside.
Into the same skillet, add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly and scraping the chicken bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the garlic to the pan, cook for a minute until aromatic, then season with salt and black pepper.
To the pan, add the chicken stock, thyme, and lemon juice. Stir together, then place the chicken thighs back into the pan, skin side up.
Bring to a simmer, then place in the oven, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove the lid, and add in the olives and lemon slices. Then bake, uncovered, for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve the chicken thighs with some of sauce, onions, and olives.
More Chicken Recipes
Need more ideas for using chicken in your menu? Check out the linked recipes below. There are tons of great ideas here for your menu. Take a moment to bookmark the ones you like, print out their recipes, or pin them to Pinterest so they are handy for meal planning soon!
- Peruvian-Style Grilled Chicken Recipe
- Slow-Cooked Jerk-Style Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- Braised Chicken With Fennel And Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Grilled Tandoori-Style Chicken Legs Recipe
- Roasted Chicken Legs With Vegetable Kabobs Recipe
Garlic Lemon Chicken with Olives
- ¼ cup of cooking fat bacon grease, lard, or beef tallow
- ½ lb black olives kalamata, cut in half
- 8 chicken thighs bone-in, and skin-on
- 3 cups onion sliced thinly
- 30 cloves garlic minced and smashed
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 extra lemons thickly sliced (remove the seeds with the tip of a knife)
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- A bunch of picked thyme leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium heat, melt your cooking fat. Once heated, add in the chicken, skin side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until the chicken is crispy and browned. Set the chicken aside for now.¼ cup of cooking fat, 8 chicken thighs
- Using the same skillet, add in your onions and cook for 5 minutes. Remember to stir regularly and scrape the chicken bits off the bottom of the pan. Add in your garlic, cook for a minute until it's aromatic, then season with salt and black pepper.3 cups onion, Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, 30 cloves garlic
- Add your chicken stock, thyme, and lemon juice to the pan, then stir everything together. Place your chicken thighs back into the pan, skin side up, and bring it to a simmer. Once ready, place the pan, covered, in the oven for 20 minutes.½ cup lemon juice, 1 ½ cups chicken stock, A bunch of picked thyme leaves
- After the 20 minutes have passed, remove the lid and add in the olives and lemon slices. Continue baking everything uncovered for another 15 to 20 minutes.½ lb black olives, 2 extra lemons
- Finally, serve your chicken thighs with some of the sauce, onions, and olives. Enjoy your delicious meal!
- This can be made with chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or chicken legs.
- Chicken should be cooked to 165°F internally at the thickest point for safety.