This seafood stew is a show-stopping dish that brings the ocean's flavors to your table. The combination of shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, crab, and cod will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving more. It's perfect for feeding a crowd or making ahead for leftovers that freeze beautifully.
One of the perceived downsides of cooking seafood is the fear of overcooking it, leaving it tough and rubbery. But fear not, this recipe is foolproof and guarantees tender, juicy seafood every time. Additionally, this dish is a perfect fit for anyone following a keto or paleo diet, as it is gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, and filled with healthy fats.
The fragrant stew is cooked in a flavorful broth with an array of herbs and spices, which enhances the natural seafood taste. You can feel free to modify the recipe as per your preference, such as using a different type of fish or omitting any ingredient you don't like.
Serves: 12 Prep Time:15 min Cook Time: 35 min
• 2 onions, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
• 3 ½ cups chicken stock
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 tablespoon dried basil
• ½ teaspoon dried thyme
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 cup water
• 1 ½ cups white wine
• 1 ½ lbs large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 ½ lbs scallops
• 18 small clams
• 18 mussels, cleaned and debearded
• 1 ½ cups crab meat
• 1 ½ lbs cod fillets, cut into chunks
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Seafood Stew
Heat a large stockpot over medium heat and cook 2 chopped onions, 2 minced cloves garlic, and a handful of chopped fresh parsley in some cooking fat until the onions are soft about 6 minutes.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, water, and white wine. Start with 1 teaspoon each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and continue seasoning to taste. Additionally, add more sea salt or freshly ground black pepper to adjust to personal preference. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, add the shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, crab, and cod to the pot. Bring to a simmer again and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the clams open. Adjust seasonings to taste.
More Seafood Recipes
If your family loves seafood as mine does, then you will love some of the recipes below. Tons of great flavors, easy to prepare, and ideal for anyone following a paleo or keto diet plan. Bookmark your favorites to make soon.
- Seafood Gumbo Recipe
- Keto Seafood Chowder Recipe
- Marinated Asian Style Tuna Steaks
- Tomato Fish Chowder Recipe
- Mussels and Shrimp Chowder Recipe
Paleo Seafood Stew
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups white wine
- 1 ½ lbs large raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 ½ lbs scallops
- 18 small clams
- 18 mussels cleaned and debearded
- 1 ½ cups crab meat
- 1 ½ lbs cod fillets cut into chunks
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon cooking fat beef tallow, bacon grease, or lard
- Start by heating a large stockpot over medium heat. Add 2 chopped onions, 2 minced cloves of garlic, and some chopped fresh parsley to the pot with cooking fat. Cook for about 6 minutes until the onions become soft.2 onions, 2 cloves garlic, ½ cup fresh parsley, 2 tablespoon cooking fat
- Add 1 can (28 oz.) of diced tomatoes, 3 ½ cups of chicken stock, 2 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon of dried basil, ½ teaspoon of dried thyme, ½ teaspoon of dried oregano, 1 cup of water, and 1 ½ cups of white wine to the pot. Season with 1 teaspoon each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Adjust seasonings to personal preference. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it simmer for 30 minutes.28 oz. diced tomatoes, 3 ½ cups chicken stock, 2 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon dried thyme, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, 1 cup water, 1 ½ cups white wine, Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Once 30 minutes have passed, add 1 ½ pounds of peeled and deveined raw shrimp, 1 ½ pounds of scallops, 18 small clams, 18 mussels (cleaned and debearded), 1 ½ cups of crab meat, and 1 ½ pounds of cod fillets (cut into chunks) to the pot.1 ½ lbs large raw shrimp, 1 ½ lbs scallops, 18 small clams, 18 mussels, 1 ½ cups crab meat, 1 ½ lbs cod fillets
- Bring the pot to a simmer again and cook for about 5 minutes, until the clams open. Adjust the seasonings to taste before serving.
- You can use any mix of seafood that you prefer.
- When using mussels or clams, make sure they are properly cleaned before adding to the stockpot.