Fish cakes are an easy, kid-friendly dinner, and the combination of crispy browned outsides and fluffy centers might win over even some dedicated fish-haters to the cause. These ones let you go with sweet potatoes for a sweeter taste to the recipe or white potatoes if you’re more into the classic flavor (yes, white potatoes are OK to eat). Add some fresh green onions, dill, and lemon zest to keep the flavor light, and an egg just to hold everything together, and you’re ready to go.
Leftover salmon can be a challenge to find a use for – it’s hard to heat up without getting dry and rubbery, and not everyone likes it cold – so this recipe would be a good one to have up your sleeve in case you ever make too much. After all, if you’re paying for the really nutritious, wild-caught stuff, there’s no point wasting any of it.
If you wanted a side salad for these, it would be a nice chance to experiment with more challenging greens like arugula or dandelion greens, or something a little sharper like red onion slivers. Or go for a creamy pureed soup, if it’s still chilly outside.
Salmon Cakes Recipe
Protein: 22g / %
Carbs: 35g / %
Fat: 19g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 12 oz. cooked salmon, flaked
- 2 large russet or sweet potatoes
- 3 green onions, minced (Use just the green parts for low-FODMAP)
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill, minced
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 egg, beaten
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes into a medium saucepan and add cold water to cover by at least an inch.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the water and place the potatoes into a large bowl. Mash with a fork and let cool.
- Stir in the salmon, green onions, dill, mustard, lemon zest, egg, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Mix everything until well combined.
- Form the salmon mixture into equal-sized patties.
- Melt the coconut oil in skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the patties for 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serve the salmon cakes with lemon wedges.