Are you ready for some summer comfort food? These savory chicken skewers spend a few hours soaking up a completely dairy-free Paleo buttermilk marinade, and then all you have to do is throw them on the grill for a few minutes to get fast and easy protein.
So what’s the secret to making Paleo “buttermilk?” The same secret behind making regular buttermilk: something creamy and cold, and something acidic. In traditional buttermilk, the acid taste comes from fermentation; here, it’s from lemon juice, which also gives the marinade an extra flavor boost. You can throw in some homemade Sriracha sauce if you want a spicy version, or leave it alone for a more classic flavor.
For a vegetable side, these skewers would be great over salad, or maybe with a dish of crunchy coleslaw on the side. Or try them with some light grilled vegetables (zucchini? Eggplant?), maybe drizzled with a little extra buttermilk marinade, if you find out you really like it!
Buttermilk Chicken Skewers Recipe
Protein: 59g / %
Carbs: 8g / %
Fat: 45g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 3 lbs chicken thighs, cut into chunks;
- 1 cup coconut milk;
- 3 lemons, cut into wedges;
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice;
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha sauce; (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a bowl, mix together the coconut milk, lemon juice, Sriracha sauce, if using, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken to the coconut milk and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 5 hours.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Skewer the chicken on wooden skewers, alternating between chicken and lemon wedges.
- Grill the chicken skewers on the preheated grill, covered, for about 8 minutes per sides.