When cherry tomatoes are being picked by the bucketful and delivered to the market or store, you know it is time to make a salad of epic cherry tomato proportions – after all, you cannot stop at eating just one small, delicious, must-have-more tomatoes! Harvest two pounds of them, along with a small red onion, a handful of green olives and a cup of celery hearts (the most tender inner ribs of the celery bunch) and chill all ingredients in a large bowl, complete with celery seeds, horseradish, and an olive oil dressing. You’ve never eaten a salad like this before!
As much as salads are appreciated for their nourishing vitamin and mineral contents, it is the essential proteins that will give us energy to thrive throughout the day. Your mind might automatically associate flank steaks with fajitas, stir-fries or Korean bulgogi, though it sits well next to salads too, so long as you slice it against the grain, at a 45-degree angle, for the best bites. Slice it any other way and it will be displeasingly chewy. Flank steak is low in fat, as such, it benefits greatly by marinating in spices, or in tenderizing by using a meat mallet.
This meal is extremely rich in proteins, those living a Keto lifestyle may need to adjust the amount. If carbs complete the meal for you, let us suggest a platter of grilled and zesty sweet potatoes, since the grill is already on.
Flank Steak With Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe
Protein: 65g / %
Carbs: 15g / %
Fat: 41g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2-3 lbs. flank steak
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Avocado oil for brushing
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tomato Salad Ingredients
- 2 lbs. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green olives, sliced
- 1 cup celery hearts, chopped
- 3 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. horseradish
- 1/2 tsp. celery seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Allow steak to come to room temperature prior to cooking.
- In a small bowl combine paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the steak and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Bring the grill to medium heat. Using the avocado oil, brush the grill rack to prevent meat from sticking.
- Place steak on the grill and allow it to cook for about 5 minutes each side, depending on thickness and desired doneness.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing across the grain.
- For tomato salad: In a large bowl combine tomatoes, onion, olives and celery.
- In a separate bowl combine the vinegar, horseradish, celery seeds and olive oil. Mix well and season to taste.
- Pour the dressing over vegetables and mix until everything is well coated.
- Chill salad until ready to serve.