Cover your shrimp in a flavorful pesto and grill them up on a skewer! Remember, skewers aren’t just for beef, chicken or a bunch of veggies, skewers are great for seafood, like salmon or shrimp. Plus, you get a big dose of Omega-3 fats when you pluck these shrimp off the grill. Speaking of healthy fats, these shrimp are coated in a creamy pesto with plenty of healthy olive oil, too.
Pesto is traditionally made with fresh basil, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Luckily, if you choose to not eat dairy, the pesto retains it’s sharp, rich flavor without the cheese. If you do choose to consume dairy, make sure you purchase a high-quality Parmesan cheese. If you have the option to spend a little more money on certain grocery items, prioritizing quality grass-fed, sustainably-raised meat and dairy is a good idea.
Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers Recipe
Protein: 47g / %
Carbs: 4g / %
Fat: 37g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wood or metal skewers
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, pine nuts, and season to taste in a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp and pesto, then toss until well coated.
- Let sit at room temperature for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Thread the pesto shrimp onto the skewers, and place on the preheated grill.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, then serve.